Syrah

Lismore Syrah 2018

  • 2018
  • 750ml
  • Red
  • 14%
Vintage
2018
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Lismore
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
94 AVG
Drink now or cellar for up to 10 years. No need to decant before serving.

California winemaker Samantha O’Keefe moved to South Africa in 2000 and soon fell in love with a 300-hectare ranch called Riviersonderend which she has transformed into one of the region’s finest wineries. In 2018 she was invited to join the prestigious Cape Winemaker’s Guild in 2018, making her only the sixth female winemaker to achieve this honour. The property is located in Greyton, a sub-region of Overberg which is forging a reputation for excellent cool climate wines.

Lismore’s vineyards are planted on the foothills of the Riviersonderend Mountains where the combination of elevation and the cool climate ensure the ripening season is much longer, usually by 3-4 weeks, than the rest of the Western Cape. This masterful Syrah is a great introduction to the Lismore style, and has previously been called “consistently one of South Africa’s best expressions of the grape” by renowned wine critic Tim Atkin.

30% of the fruit comes from Greyton vineyards planted on schist soils without irrigation, while the remaining 70% is from Elgin where the vines sit on sandstone and shale. Around half is fermented in whole bunches in small open vats and the remainder is destemmed and fermented in a 5000 litre wooden vat. The young wine is then left to mature in a 3000 litre oak cask for 9 months. This use of large neutral oak vessels helps showcase the natural cassis, blackberry and cherry notes and fine tannins while adding delicate hints of spice and white pepper.
 
Description
Drink now or cellar for up to 10 years. No need to decant before serving.

California winemaker Samantha O’Keefe moved to South Africa in 2000 and soon fell in love with a 300-hectare ranch called Riviersonderend which she has transformed into one of the region’s finest wineries. In 2018 she was invited to join the prestigious Cape Winemaker’s Guild in 2018, making her only the sixth female winemaker to achieve this honour. The property is located in Greyton, a sub-region of Overberg which is forging a reputation for excellent cool climate wines.

Lismore’s vineyards are planted on the foothills of the Riviersonderend Mountains where the combination of elevation and the cool climate ensure the ripening season is much longer, usually by 3-4 weeks, than the rest of the Western Cape. This masterful Syrah is a great introduction to the Lismore style, and has previously been called “consistently one of South Africa’s best expressions of the grape” by renowned wine critic Tim Atkin.

30% of the fruit comes from Greyton vineyards planted on schist soils without irrigation, while the remaining 70% is from Elgin where the vines sit on sandstone and shale. Around half is fermented in whole bunches in small open vats and the remainder is destemmed and fermented in a 5000 litre wooden vat. The young wine is then left to mature in a 3000 litre oak cask for 9 months. This use of large neutral oak vessels helps showcase the natural cassis, blackberry and cherry notes and fine tannins while adding delicate hints of spice and white pepper.
  • UPS Express Shipping option available at the checkout
  • Add gift options at the checkout
 
More from this winery
Lismore Chardonnay 2020
Lismore Chardonnay 2020
  • 2020
  • White
  • 13.5%
Vintage
2020
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
13.5%
Varietal
Chardonnay
Grapes
Chardonnay
Winery
Lismore
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
93 AVG
More from this region
Blankbottle Kortpad Kaaptoe 2020
Blankbottle Kortpad Kaaptoe 2020
  • 2020
  • White
  • 13%
Vintage
2020
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
13%
Varietal
Other White Wine
Grapes
Fernao Pires
Winery
Blankbottle
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
91 AVG
Paul Cluver Estate Chardonnay 2019
Paul Cluver Estate Chardonnay 2019
  • 2019
  • White
  • 13%
Vintage
2019
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
13%
Varietal
Chardonnay
Grapes
Chardonnay
Winery
Paul Cluver
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
93 AVG
Capensis Chardonnay 2015
Capensis Chardonnay 2015
  • 2015
  • White
  • 14%
Vintage
2015
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
14%
Varietal
Chardonnay
Grapes
Chardonnay
Winery
Capensis
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
94 AVG
Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2020
Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2020
  • 2020
  • White
  • 13%
Vintage
2020
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
13%
Varietal
Chardonnay
Grapes
Chardonnay
Winery
Hamilton Russell
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
94 AVG
Rupert & Rothschild Baroness Nadine 2021
Rupert & Rothschild Baroness Nadine 2021
  • 2021
  • White
  • 13%
Vintage
2021
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
13%
Varietal
Chardonnay
Grapes
Chardonnay
Winery
Edmond de Rothschild
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
93 AVG
De Grendel Merlot 2019
De Grendel Merlot 2019
  • 2019
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2019
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Merlot
Grapes
Merlot
Winery
De Grendel
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
93 AVG
Rupert & Rothschild Baron Edmond 2017
Rupert & Rothschild Baron Edmond 2017
  • 2017
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2017
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Other Red Wine
Grapes
Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon
Winery
Edmond de Rothschild
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
95 AVG
De Grendel Op Die Berg Chardonnay 2021
De Grendel Op Die Berg Chardonnay 2021
  • 2021
  • White
  • 13.5%
Vintage
2021
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
13.5%
Varietal
Chardonnay
Grapes
Chardonnay
Winery
De Grendel
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
95 AVG
Blankbottle Familiemoord
Blankbottle Familiemoord
  • NV
  • Red
  • 14%
Vintage
NV
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14%
Varietal
Grenache
Grapes
Grenache
Winery
Blankbottle
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
93 AVG
Lismore Chardonnay 2020
Lismore Chardonnay 2020
  • 2020
  • White
  • 13.5%
Vintage
2020
Size
750ml
Type
White
Alcohol
13.5%
Varietal
Chardonnay
Grapes
Chardonnay
Winery
Lismore
Region
Western Cape
Country
South Africa
93 AVG
More from this varietal
Charles Smith K Vintners The Beautiful Syrah 2018
Charles Smith K Vintners The Beautiful Syrah 2018
  • 2018
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2018
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Charles Smith
Region
Washington
Country
United States
97 AVG
Les Vins de Vienne Saint-Joseph Le Biez 2019
Les Vins de Vienne Saint-Joseph Le Biez 2019
  • 2019
  • Red
  • 14%
Vintage
2019
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Les Vins de Vienne
Region
Rhone
Country
France
94 AVG
Shafer Relentless 2017
Shafer Relentless 2017
  • 2017
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2017
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Shafer
Region
California
Country
United States
95 AVG
Xanadu DJL Shiraz 2018
Xanadu DJL Shiraz 2018
  • 2018
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2018
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Xanadu
Region
Margaret River
Country
Australia
93 AVG
Henschke Henry's Seven 2019
Henschke Henry's Seven 2019
  • 2019
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2019
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
74% Syrah, 16% Grenache, 8% Mourvedre, 2% Viognier
Winery
Henschke
Region
Barossa Valley
Country
Australia
93 AVG
Te Mata Estate Syrah 2017
Te Mata Estate Syrah 2017
  • 2017
  • Red
  • 13%
Vintage
2017
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
13%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Te Mata
Region
Hawkes Bay
Country
New Zealand
92 AVG
Charles Smith K Vintners Milbrandt Syrah 2018
Charles Smith K Vintners Milbrandt Syrah 2018
  • 2018
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2018
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Charles Smith
Region
Washington
Country
United States
93 AVG
Vina von Siebenthal Carabantes Syrah 2020
Vina von Siebenthal Carabantes Syrah 2020
  • 2020
  • Red
  • 14.5%
Vintage
2020
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
14.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah
Winery
Vina von Siebenthal
Region
Aconcagua Valley
Country
Chile
92 AVG
Glaetzer Amon-Ra Shiraz 2019
Glaetzer Amon-Ra Shiraz 2019
  • 2019
  • Red
  • 15.5%
Vintage
2019
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
15.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Glaetzer
Region
Barossa Valley
Country
Australia
96 AVG
Les Vins de Vienne Cote Rotie Le Plomb 2020
Les Vins de Vienne Cote Rotie Le Plomb 2020
  • 2020
  • Red
  • 13.5%
Vintage
2020
Size
750ml
Type
Red
Alcohol
13.5%
Varietal
Syrah
Grapes
Syrah
Winery
Les Vins de Vienne
Region
Rhone
Country
France
95 AVG