Evidence points to cultivation of vines since the 12th century, although the modern history begins with the purchase of the estate by the Scottish trader John Lewis Brown (with ownership history of the present day estates Château Cantenac-Brown and Château Boyd-Cantenac) near the end of the 18th century. In 1939 Château Brown was bought by André Bonnel, but viticulture was stopped in the 1950s and for nearly twenty years there was no winemaking until the vineyard was replanted. Was sold by Jean-Claude Bonnel to Bernard Barthe the estate saw large investment and effort, and in 2004 it was acquired by the Mau family of Yvon Mau Négociants and the Dutch liquor company Dirkzwager.
5 All. John Lewis Brown, 33140 Léognan, France